Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Sheer Coincidence

I am officially 55 percent settled in, and 55 percent is more than 50 percent (FYI, for those of you who don't deal with math as well as I do), so... I'm more than halfway done! I decided I'd celebrate with a more-than-halfway-done post on my brand new shiny desk, which, I'll have you know, I assembeled by myself. I even bought a cordless drill. (I know, I know, you're in awe of my adultlike, power-tool-purchasing independence. It's OK... but don't be fooled.)

Yesterday I bought -- and hauled up three flights of stairs, and built -- two dressers (77 lbs. each), a desk (30 lbs), a kitchen table (30 lbs), and two kitchen chairs (8 lbs each). My shoulders and forearms feel fabulous. Really. So do the screwdriver-induced calluses on my thumb and my palm. I feel like a carpenter, like Ty. Or Jesus. All gritty and sweaty and primal and getting-things-accomplished-with-my-bare-hands. It rocks.

I also spent an hour and a half on the phone with Comcast the other day, telling the local Home Networking Group, then the corporate Home Networking Group, then Billing, then Internet Billing, and finally "The Supervisor" that the technician who came to install our cable and internet sucked the big one and that I wanted my money back. And you know what? I got it. That's right. I got a hundred bucks back and I installed my own internet. I didn't know I had it in me to be so aggressive and not-pushovery. It's like magic! Oh yeah, and also? Don't mess with me, biotch! (Sorry, had to throw that in there... because I can.)

All these feelings of empowerment and general I've-So-Got-It-Together-ness just remind me that I really should be here now. I had a minor panic attack Saturday when I got into a cab to go home (home!!) and there was a video monitor in the back showing -- on continuous freaking loop -- a commercial for Sheer Dallas. I mean, really? Wasn't that show cancelled? It's not even on the air anymore, so why show promos for it in a cab in a state that's not Texas? Why?

I was beginning to think it was a sign, but by the fourteenth time they showed the zoom-out-to-Dallas-skyline shot, all I could think was... heh.

I'm sorry, Dallasites, I know you have a building that's (gasp!) outlined in green neon, and that (omigod!) Reunion Tower is, like, the only golf-ball-resembling building ever created. And I'm just as impressed by those architectural wonders as the next girl, I really am. But Dallas' skyline just doesn't do it for me like Chicago's. It doesn't give me that tingly, glowy, Oh-my-god-I-need-a-cigarette-after-that feeling like Chicago's. Sigh.... Yeah, I know where I need to be.